So I have a friend....
I have a friend who can sew anything and makes the best quilts. She is so outgoing and can have the best time where ever she is. She is stronger(not the muscly kind of strong)then any woman I know.
My other friend has her Masters and can paint a palm tree better then any one I know. She is always there for you no matter the time no matter the place.
Another one has an amazing eye for design, interior and fashion. She can make the worst situation into the best one and make it glorious. She can have the worst day and still be smiling at the end of it.
The other friend can put together a shadow box full of memories like no ones business. She always sends little notes my way.
My mom is good at taking pictures, and is AH-mazing at decorating cakes.
My sister can play the piano beautifully.
(I could go on and on but I will stop there....)
So who am i? What do I bring to the table? What am I good at?
I'm not sure.
I remember when Chris and I were first married and were going to our new ward. In Relief Society they were introducing me. Apparently they had called Chris and asked him some questions to get to know me, you know fun facts kind of thing. Anyways, I remeber one question being what are some of her hobbies, what is she good at? Chris didn't have an answer for it. WHAT!! How can that be, he has no answer?? I will never forget that.
There are so many things I enjoy doing. So many things that I wish I could do. I know some of you will say "Oh Tat you are good at _______". I think you are just trying to make me feel good and giving me an effort grade.
I want to be that mom that can do scrapbooky things so cute. But I'm not.
This thinking has caused me to realize that "YES I CAN!" I can do all these things. I am not just going to sit here and dream about what I could be. I am going to do it. I am going to find myself and find who I am and what makes me me. If I have to do a bunch of things to figure it out, then so be it. This move has made me want to be great. It has made me want to be the wife, mom, woman I know I can be. But at the same time, I don't want to force myself to be some one. We will see where this new road leads me. Maybe that's just not who I am. Maybe I am supposed to be the way I am. If you aren't happy with the way you are then change it right?
Here goes nothing....
8.29.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
I feel this way too! It seems like I can list a million talents that everyone else has, but when it comes to me, there's nothing obvious that jumps out. I took the girls to a playdate with a new friend the other day, and while the mom and I were talking, she asked, "so what are your hobbies? What do you like to do in your spare time?" I had NO answer!!!! "Spare time? Ummmmm...sleep?" I felt so lame! I think once things settle down here, I might try to take some time for ME. I just have no idea what I would like to do.
So GOOD LUCK on your adventure to find YOU! I'm excited to see how you grow and what you choose to do. I think you're amazing, but it's always nice to have some answers to, "what do you do?"!
I can't tell you how many times I've had this same conversation with myself. I am okay at a lot of things, but I just want to be great. I'm excited for you to figure this all out. Hopefully it inspires me to find something too.
Tat, you ar YOU!
You are who you are.You are who we have grown to love, please don't change too much! I could tell you many amazing qualities you have- one that I truly admire about you is how you can write! You have a beautiful way with words. You are so talented when it comes to decorating, and you and Chris love doing it together. You love your husband, he is your best friend. You love your children, you love to help others, I could go on, but one thing I know is that sometimes some of us spend our whole lifetime "looking" and "searching" for that special someting in life, only to find out we have always had that special something. You are wonderful, don't get me wrong- we do need to grow and progress, but don't sell yourself too short. YOU are a beautiful daughter of God! You are amazing. I love You and pray for the best for you guys because you deserve it. Please keep in touch!
Wow! What a beautiful, well written post. I literally just said "wow" out loud. Your writing is soo good! Personally I think that 'hobbies question' is the dreaded. No one ever knows how to answer that. So why do we continue to ask it!? hehe. Coming from your friend, trust me we all could list a million things you are good at! I really admire your love for sports.(gosh knows thats not my thing) I would definitely say thats a hobby-and a super cute one cuz you and your hubby share it. You also rock at scrapbooking /invitations! You have the best memory I have ever, ever seen AND an amazing ability to make friends and to value/kindle the friendship for years even when it is miles away. Those are just a few things I admire about you! And a few things I use to describe you to others. Oh and how beautiful you are usually comes up as well! I am so excited for your venture in Texas and love hearing how on fire you are for change! You are such an amazing women. Love you!
this is a great post! i am so happy for you and embracing this, instead of feeling down. i don't have any good crafty ways, myself. you will have to keep us up to date! and p.s. you look gorgeous!
Tat, you just described how every woman in the world feels about themselves. dont be hard on yourself! You are good at lots of things!! You can be friends with anyone, you are super outgoing, friendly, positive, kind, generous, thoughtful, etc. I'm not a scrappy mom either. I wish I was a better cook, I wish I could sew, I wish I was a lot of things. I think some stuff comes with time. Love you I need to call you soon.
Girl. You just stole the words right out of my mouth-- I couldn't have said it better.
I think us gals get too involved in being a good wife and mother that we forget who WE are. Life is busy. Being a mom is busy. Who even has time to be good at everything?
My husband would probably have said the same thing as Chris-- which is sad-- but true.
Good luck at finding you. Have you seen Eat, Love, Pray? Or read it?
Post a Comment