9.29.2010
The life of a 2 1/2 year old named Jaxon
From the day he was born, Jaxon has had skin problems. He has an unforgiving condition called eczema. Eczema is when the skin is very dry and itchy. It actually itches from the inside out. Making it nearly impossible for this little guy to be at peace. His skin is so dry we have ran out of options of what to moisturize him with. If we do lotions or creams he says it burn. His skin is a constant open wound. He is always scratching away. He doesn't even know he is scratching when he is. It's like second nature for him. And right when his wounds start to heal of course they itch like any scab does, so he picks at it. When he was little, before he could take them off) we had to put sock on his hands so he wouldn't scratch. Now I have to put him in full feet jammies pretty much all day or else his legs will be torn up. The only thing out there that has cleared it up is a prescribed ointment that we use up in 2 days because we put it on him so constantly. So we run out of that script very fast. Then we have to wait for another trip to the doc to get some more. And with us moving we are in transition of getting new insurance.
(I HATE looking for the right insurance company. I have to make sure stuff with Jaxon will be covered.)
Jaxon not only has eczema but the doctor also says he has food allergies. The list goes a little something like this:
1. oats
2. wheat
3. soy
4. tomatoes
5. corn
6. strawberries
7. carrots
8. apples
9. potatoes
If you look at any label it almost always has corn starch, wheat or potato starch. Let me tell you the kid loves everything on that list. Here is the thing, I had tried taking all of these things out of his everyday life and I was doing good for while. However, there was NO change! He was exactly the same, still scratching all the time. A mother's opinion, if I may Doctors, I don't think my baby has food allergies. I think it is more environmental. When he is outside his face gets white and splotchy. I have given him claritin, benadryl. I'm telling you not a thing is working. I have yet to go to an allergist. That's part of why I hate insurance companies, the specialists are always a hassle. We have gone to a dermatologist, they are the ones who prescribed the good stuff.
When you have eczema another thing comes with it is asthma. We have had to do breathing treatments on him since he was about 1. He wheezes so bad. But not often has been it been really bad. I have noticed it when we are outside and he is in the heat for a long time.
A couple weekends ago we went and watched my brother-in-law do a triathlon. It was a hot day and we were outside. Jaxon had started coughing the night before so I knew that was coming. We finally had to leave the triathlon because he was wheezing horribly. He was miserable and you could tell something was not right. When we were driving home you could literally hear him breathing and he was all the way in the back. We took him into urgent care and right away the doctor came in and gave him a shot to let more oxygen in. We did 2 sessions of strong breathing treatments and 2 doses of a medicine to get his oxygen flowing. His oxygen levels were so low, she had never seen a little boy that low before. By the time we left urgent care his levels were back to normal and he sounded so much better. He was in a much better mood too.
I don't know when or if he will grow out of this, they say he most likely will. I keep praying for a solution for something to let me know which direction will help him. Jaxon is the most loving little boy you will ever meet. He is so sweet and the class clown. Through all of his, for lack of a better word, problems he find joy in everything. He smiles and laughs a lot. He has always been a smiley little boy. He is too sweet to have all this happen at the same time. I hope that somewhere down the road of going to doctors we will find something that lets Jaxon have some relief, one night of not scratching, one day of no bleeding.
For now, I continue to fight a battle I cannot with him. I continue to pray for comfort for my baby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Oh I feel your pain! Bennett has eczema as do MANY members of our family. I have talked to several people about it and here is what I have found.
Bennett has bad eczema in the winter. His eczema is genetic an dependant on the weather (cold weather = bad eczema)
But I had a friend who has a son that sounds exactly like your Jaxon. They tried cream after cream, really HARSH ointments. Nothing worked and he was a scratchy blotchy mess. It wasn't until he was 4 YEARS OLD that they found out his did not have a FOOD allergy but a grass, tree, and plant allergy. Once they found that out their life has been SOOO much better. His eczema was worse in the spring/summer. Is that how Jaxon's is? If so, you might suggest it to a doctor. ANd if you haven't already I would go to a pediatric allergist. We did that with Bennett and it was so much more helpful than any other doctor (and Bennett doesn't even have allergies go figure).
Good luck! I know how heartbreaking it is to se open sores and scratching all the time. Our poor kids!
I'm so sorry about your little jax. If I had a magic wand or something cool like that, I would use all my powers on him...
Also...I just read your blog and I love you and your fam and the new Texas lifestyle.
You are beautiful and such a good mom.
Maci is a dolli. I love her cheeks and rolls. DOLL!!!!
Maybe someday our kids can play and rock out. How awesome would that be?
Take care.
Poor Jaxon!Ryker has some eczema too. Not nearly as bad last year and I am sure he technically has food allergies. I know he is allergic to eggs but I havent had him tested for anything else. BUT I did take him to a naturopathic Dr a few times to get her opinion and she introduced me to a cewable pill called D Hist Jr. Natural stuff of course. I do not know where you can get that specific kind BUT a lady I know can get pretty much the same thing calls A&I (allergy and inflamation)- again its natural from a company called new beginnings. The tablets look the same and taste the same too. Her blog is http://enlightenedhomemaker.blogspot.com/ She is in AZ but will ship orders or you can order from the website she has linked there. It may be cheaper if you go through her she gets a discount but for shipping I dont know how she works it. Anyways I gave ryker 2 tablets a day for about a week and his skin was 1000 times better. It was amazing. Not everyone is the same but if is is an allergy thing even environmental allergies it should help some. She blogged recently about it so read up. :o) The natural dr we went to also said to start fish or flax oil to help with it. In AZ they have it at sprouts a YUMMY kind. called Barleans Omega sqirl. you can find it at sporuts here. I believe you are in Texas? Do they have sprouts? I would do some research on where you can find it. I know here its in the refridgerated section. It really tastes good. It take it myself. Lastly get a probiotic. These kids are exposed to lots of processed foods and chemicals and bad bacteria and thier guts need help they need some good bacteria to help keep them healthy. You can get a powder kind to put in any form of drink for kids at most pharmacies. You may have to ask for it though. Or a store like sprouts. That blog also has some. I use the new beginnings one myself and for ryker I just open up the capsule and put half of it in his milk. Have you explored eliminating all dairy? I know thats said to be a trigger typically.You may want to atleast try to add in some alternatives like almond milk. It's much better than rice milk in my opinion. but there is rice and soy options too. The natural dr told us to alternate that too. SOrry for the novel. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you have any or want more info. I know Shari (the enlightened homemaker) wouldn't mind questions too. She is amazing. I ask her questions all the time! :o)
I'm sorry for your son! Forgive me, I know I'm a stranger, and I don't have too much experience in this dept. or advice to give...but as I read I remembered my "miracle" skin soother (I almost always avioded rashes with my babies) Vasaline. anyway, I hope you find a solution.
Post a Comment